Tuesday, August 11, 2009

All Grown up!

I have been reflecting on my childhood a lot recently. Probably because I have children of my own and when I do something with them I think, maybe my mom and dad used to do this with me. Right now my oldest, Amber, is getting to the age where she/I want her to start participating in activities like pre-school, dance, piano, swim... just to name a few. These are all things I did at her age and loved! These were things my parents sacraficed money and time for me. Back then -obviousley- I didn't understand those sacrafices. But even as I grew older and did understand -to a point- those sacrafices didn't stop and my activities didn't stop. My parents never told me no or discouraged me away from any thing I felt like doing! They were always %110 supportive. Looking back on this now, I am a little ashamed because I don't think I ever showed the gratitued I should have to them. Being a parent now and being a poor parent (only poor financially, I am RICH in all the ways that matter)I see and feel how hard those sacrafices can be. Expecially the finacial ones! I don't know how my parents did it back then... when we were young, they weren't rich. They struggled like every young family does. But, it didn't stop them from giving me and my brothers every opportunity we need/wanted! Amber isn't as blessed as I was, I guess... I can't put her in all the activities I participated in, at least not right now. We are going to take them one at a time;) This year is Joy School and I am struggling with paying for just that alone!
So here is my point. I wish I would have given my parents a few more hugs, a few more kisses, and a few more thank you's! I guess I'm all grown up now!?!? My mom always told me I wouldn't understand until I was a mom myself! She was right! I didn't understand, and now I do!
Thank you Mom! I know you don't read this often... but I LOVE YOU TONES! I wan't to be like you. I want to love like you love and give like you give! You are perfect and beautiful! YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND.
Thank you Dad! Thank you for all the butterfly kisses. All the daddy daughter camp outs! I love you and miss you TONES! I hate that you live in TX, I really do hate it! I miss seeing you every week. I miss you being with us on Holidays, birthdays, and just because days!

1 comment:

Tinsley said...

Wow, that made me cry! Very true though! I know what you mean with realizing now that we are parents, I didn't realize all the things my dad sacraficed for us then but now I do and its amazing how he did it alone with the two of us. I wasn't able to do any thing growing up...my dad had no money at all so me and my sister only were able to do things in school, which was still great...but I feel like I missed out a little. So I sometimes find myself now, wanting Talan to do so much or as much as we can afford because I don't want him to miss out, like I did-even though I know he is too young now to know. Your parents are great! I love your mom, too she is an amazing woman and I am glad to be part of the family. Its so hard sometimes not having that mom relationship with my own mom! Ok wow enough of this long letter...
love you